[12 DAYS OF PASSWORDS | 4 MIN READ] December 12th marks only twelve more days until the holidays and Passportal wanted to offer all MSPs a gift; a “Password Tip-A-Day!” right up until December 24th. Today, we want to remind MSPs to utilize security education to inform their technicians and their clients about best practices in cybersecurity and password upkeep. Continue reading for some quick tips on how exactly to do so.
First, let's talk about educating your team on best practices in password upkeep
Promise us you will NOT use the following passwords: ADMIN, passw0rd, 123456, starwars, or qwerty. These are only a few of the top passwords predominately used last year; revealed in a study by SplashData of the 100 worst passwords ever to use. If you are currently using these, now is the time to change them.
Quick tips to ensure your password practices are up-to-snuff:
- The complexity of passwords is set high. For example includes: three random words, case SENSITIVE, numbers (3756), and symbols (!#$%).
- Password is at least 16 characters long.
- Password does not use commonly known names or numbers. No, Canada2019 or Greenbay69 will not certainly NOT cut it!
- Passwords are scheduled to be changed every 90 days.
- Passwords are not stored on sticky notes or in excel spreadsheets (no more!).
Imagine a world you no longer need to worry about which technicians know which passwords!
Imagine no more. Security should be the #1 priority. Implement an access management solution for technicians who need access to privileged accounts. Use power of automation to help password rotation and control efficiency.
Secondly, educate your team on best practices in cybersecurity
Cyber-attackers rely on human error and lack of attention to conduct sophisticated data exfiltration against targeted businesses, and more often then not, they succeed! Providing security awareness training for your MSP and your clients is imperative and it should not be overlooked. The good news is, you can add security awareness training as part of your service offering repertoire.
Implementing employee training, security assessments and simulations, breach response services will improve your security standpoint in today's market, helping tremendously with all the new compliance requirements, such as HIPAA and PCI-DSS.
Training topics you can inform your clients about, but not limited to, are:
- Social Engineering and Phishing
- Malware and Ransomware & RDP
- Password and User Permissions
- Bring In Your Own Device (BYOD)
- Encryption and Remote Access
- Compliance, Polices and Procedures
Learn how your MSP can differentiate service offerings with security education
Watch an educational webinar with Passportal & Secure Now! to learn how utilizing security training as a prospecting tool in order to increase engagement and generate revenue.
Lastly, Passportal can educate your MSP. Check out our Resource Library!
Passportal has a Resource Library with lots of great, free educational material and webinars with IT Channel leaders to teach you and your clients on the latest tips on how to run a better, more secure MSP business.
Continue reading Passportal's 12 Days of Passwords:
- 12 Days of Passwords: Educate Your MSP on Cybersecurity & Password Best Practice (You're already here!)
- 12 Days of Passwords: Use Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)
- 12 Days of Passwords: Access Management to Privileged Credentials