#CybersecurityTip: As mentioned in the previously in, "User Remote Access Management", the need for a remote access has increased over the years, and as the IT provider, it is vital to have a system in place to manage a vast array of clients and devices. Implementing a sophisticated Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM) solution is key and it can be hard know which one to implement in your MSP. There are two types of RMM categories MSPs should know about; discover them below.
Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM):
Implementing a remote access management solution gives MSPs the visibility the need into their networks. An RMM manages networking and computing environments for a large influx of clients without having to actually visit the client in person. An RMM solution manages all device information and documentation, so that when an issue occurs, a solution can be provided by the technician with minimal downtime.
- Benefits: Automated Functionality; Device Patch Management and Maintenance; Asset File Management; Device Optimization & Network Mapping; Device Management and Troubleshooting
- Risks to not using RMM: Unset Security Controls; Infected Endpoints Accessing Internal Network; Exposure to Unsecured Networks; System Failure
Establishing Secure RMM Solution: (two categories)
- On-premises RMM: Installation of hardware and software licencing for clients. Varying monthly maintenance will be required. If managed endpoints scale, performance may decrease and some issues may arise due to the increasing demand. Automated, detects issues before they arise, stability, enhanced productivity, helps device life span.
- Cloud-based RMM: Does not require on-premises servers. Cloud RMM can easily scale to the size of the MSP's network. Using a Cloud RMM will help increase security, availability, backup services, automation, and ability to set predictable monthly cost schedules for your clients. Cloud RMM solutions will use encryption, secure certificate login, two-factor authentication, and log + audit of all connections.
Did you know Passportal's Ocular™ + docs integrates seamlessly into a variety of RMM solutions?
Discover how we can help your MSP and your network stay secure.
Recently Released Cybersecurity Tips:
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month: Week Four Recap
- Cybersecurity Tip #21: Establish a Security Policy
- Cybersecurity Tip #22: Consider Compliance Regulations
- Cybersecurity Tip #23: Offer Extra Service Opportunities
- Cybersecurity Tip #24: Monitoring BYOD (Bring Your Own Device)
- Cybersecurity Tip #25: The Risks of BYOD (Bring Your Own Device)
- Cybersecurity Tip #26: User Remote Access Management