October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) which is a month dedicated towards raising awareness around the importance of online safety. NCSAM claims that the golden key to long-term success is education. Educating employees around what the most common cyber threats are will help create cyber resilience.
Our team at Passportal believes in creating a culture around cyber security, and that it will not only make employees more efficient short term, it will save the company both time and energy long-term. Online safety is a shared responsibility that each and every one of our 22 staff members plays a role in strengthening.
Passportal founder and CEO, Colin Knox, has the following tips for success for strengthening business cybersecurity:
- Whenever available, use Multi-factor Authentication
- When in doubt, throw it out!
- Links you may receive in your emails are often cybercriminals trying to compromise your information. If it appears suspicious its best practice to send it directly to your junk folder, even if you recognize the sender.
- Be wary of logging into popular websites when clicking links sent via email. Browse directly to the website to login and verify there is an issue.
- Use unique passwords for each website and service, if you use the same one everywhere, chances are it’s already been sold on the dark web from a previous breach.
- Educate, educate, educate! Users are always the weakest link to cybersecurity, educate and train your users on best practices and safety measure… we learned once to look both ways before crossing the street right?
The importance of cybersecurity in the workplace is everyone’s business. Stay tuned this month for daily tips and facts on our social media pages!